Old 07-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Christopher Green wrote:

North Dakota Agricultural Extension reports that the color of some
Amur maples varies with soil conditions, but gives no details. So you
might be right.

Unless you have an Amur maple variety selected for color, such as the
common 'Flame', their color is somewhat variable.

--
Chris Green

Yes, I am of the opinion that color is not cultivar dependent because one year a tree can be
yellow and another year red. The likely candidate is water to give such variance.

Now if we broke off a branch of amur maple it will turn from green to yellow brown, never red.

And because Fall color coincides with the sap and water draining out.

If I could get some chemistry of compounds which cause the red color and if it can be shown that
this compound is water dependent would be strong evidence that water is the factor between
yellow or red.

I doubt it is a sunlight factor because trees next to one another can be either yellow or red.

I have 2 old trees along a fence where one is red and the other is next to a large cottonwood
that takes up much of the water and this amur is yellow.

It seems to me that it is water dependent as to whether yellow or red.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies