Old 07-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Christopher Green

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:19:25 -0500, Archimedes Plutonium
wrote:

Christopher Green wrote:

North Dakota Agricultural Extension reports that the color of some
Amur maples varies with soil conditions, but gives no details. So you
might be right.

Unless you have an Amur maple variety selected for color, such as the
common 'Flame', their color is somewhat variable.

--
Chris Green

Yes, I am of the opinion that color is not cultivar dependent because one year a tree can be
yellow and another year red. The likely candidate is water to give such variance.

Well, that puts you on one side and everybody else on the other,
because it is well-known to the many nurserymen who deal in Amur
maples that the color is mainly dependent on the variety.

Some varieties are variable in color, and it is these that may exhibit
color variation from year to year or dependent on conditions.

Now if we broke off a branch of amur maple it will turn from green to yellow brown, never red.

And because Fall color coincides with the sap and water draining out.

Coincidence does not imply causality.

If I could get some chemistry of compounds which cause the red color and if it can be shown that
this compound is water dependent would be strong evidence that water is the factor between
yellow or red.

The chemistry of these compounds is extremely well known, but it must
be that it is well known to everybody but yourself. It is only your
complete ignorance of the subject that prevents you from realizing how
silly you sound.

--
Chris Green