Old 07-10-2004, 09:01 AM
santos

thanks for the replies.. .since we are on the subject, i have a couple more
related questions - are grape leftovers a good addition to a compost? i
assume they would be but maybe the acidic nature of them when they ferment
would have a negative effect (as would any other fermenting fruit?) also,
where would i be able to find some plans on building a small compost bin
that would survive not only the winter but also rodents and insects once
spring comes? Thanks again and sorry for being a nuisance

"Warren" wrote in message
Snooze wrote:

If you have an existing compost pile, just let it sit there under the
snow.
A lot of people have reported that their compost piles will emit steam
on
calm winter days. If you don't have one, I suppose you could just dump
your
left overs in the same spot all winter long, and let the stuff thaw in
the
spring, and start composting then.

Freezing will usually only happen when the pile is too wet. Keep some
dry materials next to the pile to add to it, and turn the pile
frequently.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Fahrenheit 9/11 ships 10/5. Order your copy now:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/911.html