Old 07-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Jeffrey Turner

Richard Cline wrote:
In article ,
(Cloy Tobola) wrote:

1. When I was a kid, we got "Red Delicious" apples that were. They had
just a hint of green and were firm, tart and wonderful. In the last 10
years (at least), I've noticed that the Red Delicious apples I buy at
the store are soft, yellow and mealy. My mom and a friend noticed the
same thing.
Various other places on the Usenet, I've seen people decrying the
RD apple for it's poor texture and flavor... but they weren't always
that way. What happened to this variety?

2. Growing up in a small town, a local fraternal organization always
had a Christmas party where the kids each got a huge red apple. These
things were giants -- about the size of a softball -- and they were
tasty too. Anyone know about such a variety and where I could get
some?

Thanks! -Cloy

I haven't noticed any change in the Red Delicious apple. 60

years ago
they were large, red, and soft with little flavor. Today

they are
large, red, and soft with little flavor.

There are lots of foods that taste good to kids that are insipid
or worse when we get older. A friend recently got some sort of
cookie for his nieces and nephew and their friends. He tried
one himself and couldn't finish it.

--Jeff

--
When I give food to the poor