Old 08-10-2004, 04:33 AM
David Hershey

It is does seem feasible that some trees could live forever unless
killed by disease, pests or environmental factors such as drought,
climate change, wildfire or catastrophic weather events such as floods
and hurricances. The same trunk would not survive because it would
eventually decay. However, some tree species are very good at
sprouting from their base or suckering and would be good candidates
for immortality. Quaking aspen is often considered "theoretically
immortal"

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/tfl.aspen_boreal.html

I posted the following before in sci.bio.botany:

A single quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) clone can spread via root
suckers to cover 100 acres or more. One quaking aspen clone in Utah
named 'Pando' has been estimated to be 80,000 years old.
http://www.nps.gov/brca/quaking_aspen.html

Mitton and Grant (1996) stated that a quaking aspen clone can exceed a
million years in age. 'Pando' has been considered the most massive
living organism. It might be the oldest plant as well.

Reference

Mitton, J.B. and Grant, M.C. 1996. Genetic variation and natural
history of quaking aspen. BioScience 46:25-31.

David R. Hershey

"Elaine Jackson" wrote in message news:Aui9d.19220$a41.9801@pd7tw2no...
From what I understand (to save time let's agree that this qualification applies
to all of what follows), there are certain plants that have a finite lifespan
built into them: they go to seed and then they die. (Incidental question: does
such a lifespan always coincide with a single solar year?) Then there are
animals, who have decrepitude built into them instead: it can't be put off
indefinitely, and once it starts, it continues until the animal is too feeble to
survive.

Please comment on anything that's incorrect so far.

My main question is: What about trees? I can't recall ever hearing of a tree
that died of old age. They continue growing throughout their lives, but is there
anything about perpetual growth that necessarily leads to death? (Incidental
question: How does a tree's growth rate change over the course of its life?)
Obviously something will get them eventually, just because life is a gamble and
every lucky streak has to end. But, in principle, could a tree live forever?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peace