Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
St. George wrote:
:: Also what is the role of the snail and slug ?
::
Primarily to eat shoots, leaves and roots,

also generally clearing up rotting debris
and some even eat other slugs

although we have some very large
(about the size of a man's thumb)slugs around here which don't seem to
bother with plants at all, I've seen them eating discarded food such as
sweets, ice cream, chocolates and biscuits etc, even bread and meat (we have
a few large families nearby - their kids are forever dropping food in the
street) does anyone know what these things are?...they are almost always
bright orange but occasionally black.

Arion ater?
--
Kay