Old 08-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Jimmy Egan quoth:
Is there a safe and natural way to keep cats from using my nice never walked
on garden beds as a litter box ? I have tried hot pepper flakes and ammonia
without success. This is becoming a large problem. Especially when your yard
begins to smell of cat urine and feces. It is a small yard in suburban Long
Island. Any help would be appreciated as I would like the cats to never be
in my yard ... Thanks in advance ...

Gardeners' Supply sells a gizmo that you can put on the dirt among your
plants. It's a grid of hard plastic spikes sticking up. You buy lots of
them ($$) or move their placement around. It doesn't hurt the cats, but
it does make the area inhospitable to them, and the idea is that
eventually they become habituated to disliking the area and then stay
away.

I cannot testify to its efficacy, since I don't mind cats in my garden and
even feed and provide shelter for local ferals (whom I've TNRed).

Priscilla