Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:26:11 -0700, "kateh" kateh_1atcharter.net
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...
"kateh" wrote:
Hi Folks,
Anybody here grown dierama (Angel's Fishing Rods)?
(snipped)

IME they like plenty of sun and a well-drained, even gritty soil, but
otherwise they're not fussy, except that after they've established,
they don't like being moved. That said, I moved several clumps last
Spring, but dug them up as a solid block of soil, a spade's width and
depth, so they never knew they'd been disturbed, and they've
re-established well. Your raised bed sounds fine. Slugs don't seem to
be a problem. The long, narrow leaves are quite tough.

Thanks Chris and Janet, appreciate the advice! They arrived today and have
planted them in the raised beds. I ran across the dierama in Ireland last
summer and no one here (Washington state) had heard of it.
Nice to hear from folks who've grown it.
Kate(thanks!)H

They're not fully hardy BTW. Don't know how cold it gets in Washington
state, but dieramas are from South Africa, where they only get light
frosts at worst. They may not survive if they go below -5C/23F. An
alternative might be to grow them in pots which you plunge in the
garden during frost-free months, but bring them in for the winter.

--
Chris