Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 PM
simy1

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...

Well, I don't have any experience of temperatures so low. (and I intend to
keep it that way). I don't know whether water would become available to the
roots in these conditions, how deep does it freeze?

it does not freeze really. The soil may freeze for a day or two, down
a couple of inches, but as soon as there is sun, the greenhouse effect
melts the soil again. the temperature of the air may get down to -10C,
perhaps -12C. All chicories, collard, kale planted in spring/summer,
and lettuce planted in september, easily take those temperatures and
start becoming available for eating in late march. Arugula and garlic
shoots are available for omelettes as early as late february. Favas
are in the same cold tolerance league, I am just wondering if they
will take it, when planted in october, because they will be less
established than the other plants.

I would sow under the tunnel in somewhat richer soil, and hopefully some
sun. If you have the space, sow some in 3 or 4 different conditions, and see
which group does best. Then next year you'll know. Gardening is not a
precise science, and there is always the unexpected. Mulching with straw or
newspaper etc, may be valuable.

Let us know how you get on?

I will try a few here and a few there and see how it goes. I will
plant them this weekend.

Steve