Old 09-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

I have a friend who has a woodland area in which she would like to
establish some 'real' bluebells ie English kind, not Spanish.
She is having difficulty getting the bulbs.
Does anyone know of a bulk supplier?

Bluebells *really* hate being planted as dried bulbs. I recommend she
buys bulk growing bulbs "in the green" next spring (lots of adverts in
gardening mags.) ISTR they cost about £8 per 100.

A far easier, cheaper, more natural looking, and only very slightly
slower method, is to broadcast ripe seed pods (collected in July from
someone else's, with their permission of course) onto the woodland
floor. No preparation or covering required.

Janet

Yes, I've found that even when planted as bulbs in the green, they tend
to disappear for two or three years before building up their strength to
reach flowering size again. So seed is probably almost as quick.
Janet G