Old 09-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Spider" contains these words:

Hi everyone,

I would love to grow Colchicum aggrippinum, but the price puts them beyond
my reach. Has anyone on this ng grown them from seed? How well do they
germinate? How long from germination to flowering size?

I would be grateful for any information - it doesn't have to be based on
experience.
Ta ever so.

Spider

I don't know about this particular Colchicum but have tried others such
as C. speciosum. They can take up to two years to germinate and quite
often don't at all. Out of Colchicums I've tried I would guess about a
third of the batches have succeeded.
After that it's several years until they reach flowering size. I'm
guessing now because mine haven't got there yet, but I would say at
least five years.
It all depends how patient you can be!
Janet G