Old 09-10-2004, 04:20 AM
Tony Ashton

Default [IBC] Collecting Juniperus Occidentalis

Greetings all,

I am seeking advice on the timing of a collecting run.

A developer I know is planning on clearing some home sites on the East side
of the Cascade Range, near Bend, Oregon. This area is thriving with
Juniperus Occidentalis. I have received permission to collect, in front of
his bull dozer any of the smaller trees that I can carry. My question is
one of timing.

When could I collect them and be sure of the best chance of survival?

Once collected, the trees will be removed from the high desert environment
and moved to zone 7 (Portland, Oregon) - Much warmer winter, lots of rain,
etc.

While visiting this summer - in the height of the desert heat - I took the
opportunity to rescue 4 trees that were going to be flattened. Those trees
are not thriving, but they did survive, and all 4 have maintained some green
(see posting on IBC web
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ga...pic.php?t=2129 ).

The question remains - What is the best time to collect this species, and
from this environment?

Thanks,

Tony Ashton

Portland Oregon.