Old 09-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Sean Houtman

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in
:

Okay, thanks, that explains why one year the amur maples were all
yellow and why this year they are mostly red.

I need to know something about trees and plants taking in water
during Autumn and Winter months.

I need an answer on whether plants and trees like a wet Autumn or
prefer a dry Autumn considering that they need to get water and
sap out of their systems in preparation for winter. And whether
trees during winter take in water and by how much? I guess they
take in some water such as strawberries.

In this case, it really depends on the plant. Plants are adapted to
live in the environment that they grow in. In areas that tend to
have wet autumns, the plants that grow there "like" wet autumns. In
places that get less water, the plants do better with less, it is
all part of how the plants prepare for their dormancy.

As far as taking in water during winter, if a plant doesn't have any
leaves, it generally doesn't take in much at all, demand goes way
down, though a tiny bit may be taken up when the soil is not frozen.
Some moisture may be needed in the soil to prevent the roots from
drying out.

Sean