Old 09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Franz Heymann

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 21:46:31 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

Dogs seem to be attracted by the smell ( as opposed to the
movement..of which there's not usually a lot ), and seem quite

happy
to sniff, bark and tentatively prod the hedgehog...the latter

being
something they only do a couple of times before the message sinks

in.

The hedgehog just rolls itself up and contemplates its navel.

This is good news. I reported in the way I did because when I
enquired from a hedgehog sanctuary whether they have any hedgehoga

spare, they stipulated that they would only let them go to folks

with
completely enclosed gardens and no dogs.

Presumably such animals that turn up in a sanctuary have suffered

some
sort of physical trauma - hence the need for the defence of an
enclosed garden...which is certainly and most definitely not the
hedgehog's natural environment.
I suspect too that such places are, quite rightly, somewhat cautious
about well-meaning Joe Publics ringing up asking for a brace of hogs
for the garden.

In any event, it's entirely possible to train dogs to leave

hedgehogs
alone ( should they not be discouraged by its considerable

defences ).

My problem is that, although we have no dogs, our garden is not
completely enclosed. I presume that that means the hogs could wander
out and into dangerous regions.

Franz