Old 09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Kay

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Magwitch
writes

They are in a symbiotic relationship with fungi in the soil (the fungi break
down their nutrients for them)... so no fungi no bluebells

I thought that applied to orchids, not bluebells.
Certainly we have planted bluebells in various parts of our garden and
they have had no problems establishing and flowering.

A lot of plants have symbiotic relationships with fungi. It seems very
critical with orchids - possible reasons could be a) maybe the orchid
symbiont is rare b) maybe orchids are less able than other plants to get
by without the symbiosis

For bluebell symbiosis see:
http://journals.cambridge.org/bin/bl...REQAUTH=0&5000
00REQSUB=&REQSTR1=S0028646X97008885