Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Sterling said:

link to leaf shredder

Anybody tried this or any other kind?

We've been using this kind for years. We collect (from around the neighborhood)
many, many bags of leaves to shred for use as mulch and in composting.

Get about a billion leaves every fall and I have a blower that converts
to a mulch/vac with a bag but it fills up so fast.

The way we work it, we have an adaptor on the leaf vacuum that lets you
blow the sucked up leaves into the leaf shredder. The shredder sits over
a large garbage can lined with a "contractor weight" extra heavy duty plastic
bag. The finely shredded leaves are tamped down and stored for future use
in the plastic bags.

I'd like something that can take the odd pinecone or sweet gum seed ball
without croaking. If it could chew up ivy, that would be ideal. I don't
need it to do limbs or sticks.

The leaf shredded will pass through pinecones and sweetgum balls without
complaining, though too many of those will shorten the useful life of the
(easily and cheaply replaceable) filiments that do the actual shredding. You
can also use the leaf shredder to chop up dry straw and shred torn newsprint
(the straw makes a better mulch that way and the newsprint can be used as
a compost ingredient, worm bedding, or mulch).

The Flowtron won't chew up ivy, though. And it's much, much happier with
dry leaves than it is with wet ones.

We are on our second one, which is actually a Craftsman model from Sears.

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)