Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Jim Elbrecht

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

-snip-
A fresh (and ripe!) Red Delicious is wonderful. They are not, however,
good keepers, and are far inferior for storage than the Yellow Delicious.

-snip-
I grew up in apple country (the Yakima Valley in eastern Washington) so
was very, very spoiled.

Other end of the country -- and I agree with Glenna. I'm in upstate
NY - 'the other apple country' - and I like a *fresh* Delicious apple
once in a while. Those shiney red things they sell in the
supermarket are just for show, though.

I get a dozen or so Delicious apples from the orchards when they are
in season. But then I go for the Empires until late spring.
Empires are smaller, crisper & tarter. [again I buy them from a
local orchard-- the orchard gets theirs right into the cold storage
where they don't share the air with a hundred other rotting fruits and
veggies, and where they sit until they come out for sale.]

Jim