Old 09-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 03:10:57 GMT Sean Houtman wrote:
(snip what I wrote)

In this case, it really depends on the plant. Plants are adapted to
live in the environment that they grow in. In areas that tend to
have wet autumns, the plants that grow there "like" wet autumns. In
places that get less water, the plants do better with less, it is
all part of how the plants prepare for their dormancy.

As far as taking in water during winter, if a plant doesn't have any
leaves, it generally doesn't take in much at all, demand goes way
down, though a tiny bit may be taken up when the soil is not frozen.
Some moisture may be needed in the soil to prevent the roots from
drying out.

Sean

Yes I understand plants and trees are adapted to their environment.

But I need to know some genetic requirements. For in animals when they
hibernate over winter such as bears or opossum or woodchuck that they
seem to never need water.

So how much water does a bear need compared to say how much water a
strawberry or elm tree or maple tree need during winter.

I guess a bigger question is how much water does a animal of comparable
size to a plant need during various times of the year even summer.

My theory that animals are the inverse of plants in a complimentary
quantum dualism where the bone system of animals is calcium versus
carbon to plants and where plants intake and utilize carbon-dioxide
whereas animals oxygen. And many other complimentary inverses.

But perhaps water intake is a variable that I have not considered fully.
Perhaps animals to plants need and utilize the same amount of water per
year given a comparable body size.

So let us look at say a ground squirrel which has about the same surface
area as a strawberry plant. Does the ground squirrel during summer
require a water intake that is about equal to the requirements of that
strawberry plant? And during winter is that requirement equal in both in
that they both hibernate and need no water during those winter months?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies