Old 10-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Nick Gray

"undergroundbob" wrote in
message ...

Hi all, I've been re-potting my bulbs, as one does at this time of year,
and have found that the deeper soil in many of the pots is full of
little round bright yellow eggs, about the size of peppercorns. They
contain a gritty white goo and crush easily. I assumed they must be
some sort of common insect, but neither of my gardening gurus (my dad
and my dad-in-law) had seen them before, and i couldn't find any
obvious matches on the net. It's beginning to intrigue me....can anyone
ease my bafflement??

They sound like slow release fertiliser granules (Osmocote -
http://www.osmocote.com ). Did you buy the pots pre-planted from a nursery
or garden centre? If so they will have mixed them into the compost prior to
use.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk