Old 10-10-2004, 05:27 AM
benzette

you definantly dont want to put down seed and try to grow some new grass
while the weather is cold. the leafs are ok to help keep the seed
moist but is not good for "the growing grass" plants.

once you put down seed, you can't walk on it, blow it, rake it, etc etc
etc for a looooong time. sooooo, if you are "reseding" you have to mow
right before you reseed...

Sterling wrote:

I think you have already gotten a lot of good advice. But - since I am
in Atlanta also, and I have a real struggle with my backyard grass every
year - I will add that if you seed and you get a ton of leaves coming
down, you will have problems with the new baby grass. You can't rake,
you can't use a blower and if the leaves cover the new grass, it will
die back.

I have learned all it takes for the leaves to really start falling, is
for me to put out new seed.

W.D. wrote:

I just killed off all the weeds (and what little grass there was) in
the front lawn of my Atlanta home by spraying it with Roundup on
Sunday and am ready for the next steps. Here's my plan of attack:
1. Till the lawn on Friday afternoon (am I better off renting a slicer
seeder and skipping the tilling? If I till, how deep should I go?)
2. Apply seed and cover (straw?) on Saturday
3. Keep moist for several weeks until it starts to grow

Am I missing anything? Should I put topsoil or fertilizer down first?
I'm obviously a newbie so any time/labor saving hints would be
appreciated. Thanks!

W.D.