Old 10-10-2004, 06:03 AM
wendy7

Hi Joanna, I just knew you could do it!!!! *g*
Well done girl. You have officially been bitten by the
orchid fever bug.
Enjoy your plants, they sound wonderful & look forward to pics.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

J Fortuna wrote:
So I went to the NCOS orchid show (in Washington DC) today and had a
marvelous time. I hope to return there on Monday, but then I plan to
focus primarily on the exhibits, whereas today I just shopped. I
bought the following:

Phal Mystik Isles '311' (Zuma Zip x Pink Mystik) -- a gorgeous
branched small to medium sized Phal with the sepals mostly white with
light pink veins, and petals mostly pink due to dense pink stripes,
and a pink lip.

Paph Amelia Hart 'Alexandria' -- my fourth Phaph, and the first
sequential Paph that I got; I have sequential Phals and really enjoy
their progress. It's got one bloom and two buds. The vendor told me
that this kind might even have up to twelve flowers in sequence. This
plant is potted in this weird perlite mixture that looks like soil
but isn't. I am thinking of keeping it in this for now, and see how
it goes, but I will keep observing it and repot into a more familiar
medium if needed.

Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc. Fire Fantasy 'Hihimanu' -- my first
Lc or first cattleya like orchid ever. I am all excited. I hope it
won't grow to be too big for under lights culture, but the vendor
thought that it would be ok. It's not in bloom (they had a sample one
in bloom), but it's got one bud in sheath and another sheath that's
just starting. It's supposed to have a fragrance, and the sample
plant looked really nice, though it is not a mericlone and thus the
vendor warned me that this one may not look like the sample plant
after all, but I decided to risk it.

Oh, and I got one Phal at Brennan Orchids. It doesn't have a tag
right now (maybe it got lost at the show or in my car?). It's got big
white flowers with pink dots on them and a bit of a flare on the edge
of the petals. I bought this plant for my friend Sally as a birthday
present. She's got this beautiful huge whole-wall South-East window
that's slightly shaded by trees, and that looks to me like a good
place to grow orchids. And she is an artist who greatly enjoys nature
in her life and art. I am especially glad that Brennan Orchids sells
Phals in moss, since I really know how to determine how to water in
moss and I can explain this to Sally. Maybe I will help bring about
another orchid addict? :-)

Oh, and I got more potting supplies. I don't really know why I got
these shudder. I am a menace.

Joanna