Old 10-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Kay

In article , Andy Hunt
writes
Hi all,

I have some South-facing window sills, and was planning to attempt to grow
some edibles over the winter. One window box is above a radiator, but the
other two aren't.

I thought maybe lettuce would grow, or that I could maybe have a go at
chillis (too cold?).

Any suggestions for these window boxes would be much appreciated!

Light is your main problem - even in a south facing window, the one-
sided light is nowhere near as good as the long days of overhead light
in the summer. At one time you could get radishes which were bred to be
grown in a greenhouse over the winter.

I'd suggest - in the spring, use the window sill to get crops started a
wee bit earlier (but not too early as they'll go leggy with the lack of
light), then in autumn use it to extend the ripening period for things
which you have started outside in pots.
--
Kay