Old 10-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Vera Coulter
writes
Can anyone please advise me how to get rid of the tiny white fly which
has ruined my plants in the greenhouse and is also on many of my plants in
the garden.It is almost like snow,I have so much of it ! I have tried using
a spray but it does not work.

It does if you use something ruthless and nasty systemic (OK for a
greenhouse but unacceptable for house plants). Though sticky yellow card
traps will help to control whitefly in the greenhouse.

In a greenhouse now I would be inclined to close it up and then use an
insecticidal smoke to kill them. Or take all plants out and use a
sulphur candle to sterilise the entire of the inside (kills almost
everything).

I am concerned about housing my potted plants mostly fuchies,in the
greenhouse for the winter,because the white fly might still be around in
the spring to ruin everything.( their eggs )
I have never had white fly in my garden before this year.

It was a lousy year for it. The early heat plastered whitefly
infestations over every beech hedge in my area (N Yorks)

Regards,
--
Martin Brown