Old 10-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Sean Houtman

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in
:

Yes I understand plants and trees are adapted to their
environment.

But I need to know some genetic requirements. For in animals when
they hibernate over winter such as bears or opossum or woodchuck
that they seem to never need water.

So how much water does a bear need compared to say how much water
a strawberry or elm tree or maple tree need during winter.

Plants can get a very small amount of water from the soil during the
winter, hibernating animals metabolise the stored fat into water.

I guess a bigger question is how much water does a animal of
comparable size to a plant need during various times of the year
even summer.

Plants and animals are so very different in the means they aquire
water, the amount they actually need, and the reasons they need to
get quantities above the basic cellular metabolical requirements.
Because of this, the answer to your question is elusive.

My theory that animals are the inverse of plants in a
complimentary quantum dualism where the bone system of animals is
calcium versus carbon to plants and where plants intake and
utilize carbon-dioxide whereas animals oxygen. And many other
complimentary inverses.

You are a true natural philosopher. If there were no complements,
some things would start to pile up. Don't forget the utility of
microorganisms in nature.

But perhaps water intake is a variable that I have not considered
fully. Perhaps animals to plants need and utilize the same amount
of water per year given a comparable body size.

So let us look at say a ground squirrel which has about the same
surface area as a strawberry plant. Does the ground squirrel
during summer require a water intake that is about equal to the
requirements of that strawberry plant? And during winter is that
requirement equal in both in that they both hibernate and need no
water during those winter months?

A cursory examination makes that appear to be so, but... During the
winter the needs of both do go down, for the similar reason that
they are dormant. However, a fox continues to need the same amount
of water during the winter as summer, while an evergreen plant of
the same size does not.

Sean