Old 10-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message -service-com
from "Trevor Appleton" contains
these words:

Plant 2 is an invasive alien Purple Loosestrife. I was given it in a
'Cottage Garden Mix' packet of seeds. Considering its causing so much
trouble in conservation wetlands, it does amazingly well in my dry chalky
gravelly dry soil. I have it everywhere!

It's nothing like purple loostrife. It's (as Kay says) michaelmas daisy.
Purple loostrife can be seen in hedges and dmp places, and has a tall
spike which is pinkish-purple, and lanceolate leaves with very stubby
stalks, the axils of the upper ones bearing single, small, five-petalled
flowers.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/