Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Or possibly Devonshire Quarrenden, or its son Ben's Red. DQ according to
Joan Morgan's Apples: 'Distinctive flavour- of strawberries or winey to
loganberry taste...'

Thanks indeed. It certainly sounds like DQ - I'll investigate further.
(I want one! And a Charles Ross, and a *REAL* Cox's orange pippin, and a
Bramley, and a Codling. Oh, and a quince.)

The little red apple was 'my tree' as a boy: we had thirty-six mature
fruit trees, a few of which I hanker after having.

Having a narrow garden with a long pipe to a septic tank running down
the middle of it, now, I'll have to be careful where I plant it. 'It'
will have to be a family tree, I think, or cordons down one side. Or
let's be greedy. Both.

Another one we had which I'd like is not so easy to describe: it's a
larger apple, but not huge - about the size of the standard Golden
Disgusting you find in supermarkets (though I understand they are quite
pleasant if picked when ripe). It is slightly more pointed, and could be
slightly uneven or 'puckered' at the sharp end.

It is green with red striping, and when just approaching ripe, is crisp
and juicy with a slight mixed spice flavour, which disappears when the
fruit is fully ripe. At this stage it has white to extremely pale green
flesh.

Fully ripe, it is fairly soft and juicy, with pale cream flesh, and the
green of the skin becomes paler, almost yellow, with more red stripes.

You can't bore *ME* with apples...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/