Old 11-10-2004, 06:41 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default turn off or not for winter

I seen conflicting info regarding what to do with your pump/filter in the
winter....
What is the general concenus here??
Sky

As Derek mentioned, it is a case by case, or pond by pond, zone by zone
that is a determinant. As far as stratification temperatures, only works in
deep ponds 5 or more feet. I'm in Zone 7 and one ponder ran checks on his
4' deep pond last winter and found only a .03 degree difference.

My set up works where I put a small pump behind the bio-media of one
bio-chamber and set the outlet hose right at the surface, pulling water
into the filter from the skimmer. My ponds & filter are all in-ground. (See
*My Filter* www.jjspond.us) I've run this circulation for many winters, but
last winter was the first I continued to pump thru the bio-media, before I
used just the pre-filter. I saw a quicker start-up of the filter this
spring running with the bio-media engaged year round. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a