Old 11-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Kelly Houston

FACE wrote:

I agree that they should be near topping out.

The cedar was quite a surprise. I bought it for the ridiculous price of $2
at the nursery and it was about 24" and in very bad shape. It was in what I
came to call "death row" of the nursery where they put the things "not up to
snuff" on markdown and each week marked them down further and moved them one
section closer to the dumpster if not sold. Obviously the last stop was the
dumpster. This tree was in the last section right next to the dumpster. I
really coddled it and when it reached about 10' it really went into Zoom!
growth mode.

I expected it to be slower growing -- even stunted perhaps because of it's
early misfortune (parasitic leafworms I think they are called which was why
the nursery did not think it saleable). I cut off the bad foliage parts,
planted it in full sun which I understood the parasites to not like, and
watered it well the first two years. Yes it is a beautiful tree.

FACE

Sure it wasn't mislabeled and it's actually something else? Like a
Leyland cypress or Deodar cypress? Leylands can be particularly
aggressive, as you probably know. Cypresses are also very often
difficult to ID, especially when neglected and scrawny. The nursery
might have made a mistake...not that it's relevant, really--too big is
too big whatever the species.