Old 11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Bill

StanB wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news:z7had.157514$wV.28747@attbi_s54...

The fatal feline leukemia virus, feline infectious perionitis and feline
immunodeficiency virus are spread from cat to cat through saliva, urine
and
fecal matter. A cat who is suffering from intestinal parasites, such as
roundworms or tapeworms, can pass the eggs of these parasites in his
feces.
Should another animal come in contact with the infected cat's feces, he
is immediately at risk of contracting the parasites. And take note, some
worms
can be passed from animals to humans. Every year about 10,000 children
annually, for example, are infected with roundworms.

Another parasite that can spread from cats to people is the organism that
causes toxoplasmosis. Symptoms of toxoplasmosis include fever, shortness
of
breath and neurological problems. If a mother-to-be contracts the
disesase in her first trimester, it can produce cysts in the brain of the
fetus. This can lead to developmental abnormalities or even miscarriage.
The organism that casuses toxoplasmosis is common in raw meat and
gardening soil, and can also sometimes be found in cat feces.

Wow! Who knew? It's a miracle the human race survied to this day.

Right Stan, disease has killed millions of people throughout history, if we
didn't take sanitary percautions, we wouldn't be around, on that you are
quite correct.

If I have cats that use my garden area as a bathroom, that's my problem, but
if neighbors have cats that run free and dig and shit in my garden area
then it becomes a legal issue, at least in my part of the world.

There is a lease law for cats here, owners for the most part ignore it, and
they are too lazy to provide an area in their own yard for the cats to use.
It would be easy for them to dig a small area and fill it in with sand, but
no, that's too much work for them.

The way that I have found to keep the cats out is to keep the topsoil moist
by spraying it with a hose everyday.

The nitwits that live next to me have five cats.

Bill
--
The Hawke