Old 11-10-2004, 07:48 PM
FACE

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:43:11 GMT, Kelly Houston
in rec.gardens wrote:

Sure it wasn't mislabeled and it's actually something else? Like a
Leyland cypress or Deodar cypress? Leylands can be particularly
aggressive, as you probably know. Cypresses are also very often
difficult to ID, especially when neglected and scrawny. The nursery
might have made a mistake...not that it's relevant, really--too big is
too big whatever the species.

You are correct. But the nursery did not mislabel it.....I did.

When I saw the name it jogged my memory.

It is a Leyland Cypress.

(you get it, both names are LC monograms.............oh.)

Gawd it looked pitiful, way past upfront saleability. Now it looks like it
has been on high protein and vitamins since seedling.

I just looked back over my list and the only other mistake I made was to say
"radial" crabapple. That should be "radiant"....as in radiant flowering
crabapple, 25 x 30 at maturity. Come to think of that one, it has been
planted 4 years and has not bloomed. It is in 1/2 to 3/4 sun, lower zone 7.
Any crystal balls out there know how long till it blooms? The 2 sargentii's
are in full sun but bloomed in 3 years. In fact, there were so many of
those bright red "ornamental" crabapples this year that we made a quart of
preserves out of them (Nice tang!) and still have enough to do it again --
except that it will take a stepladder to get to the higher branches.

FACE