Old 11-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:57 +0100 (BST), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

Thanks!

A bit of both?

I know the standard protection is a short wall around the carrots -
two feet high is reckoned to be enough...but what about distance?

I took no precautions at all this year, and had no carrot fly - and I
don't think I used one of the resistant varieties ( will check on that
).

Time will tell, I guess!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk