Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
I'd say (now that I've looked at the first pic) that you're right, and
wonder if it might be a cultivated Veronica of some sort?

Again, there's the leaf problem - the leaves in the pic are very long
and thin.

I don't think it is an indiginous wild plant - it's certainly not one I
recognise either from RL or from books.

My first thought was that it was a Sidalcea, but I then decided that the
picture wasn't good enough for me to tell. (Are the leaves digitate or
lanceolate?) I was willing to believe the identification as Linaria
upthread, but looking again the flowers don't seem to be the right shape
- no spurs, but perhaps that's just the angle. The flower colour isn't
right for Sidalcea - I don't think they approach that close to purple -
but digital cameras don't always get colours right, and it's pinks and
purples I've found to be most problematic.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Sidalcea/gallery.html