Old 11-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:36:24 GMT, wrote:

I suppose this is the right group to ask about plants; if not please
direct me elsewhere.

I have green moss growing on my sidewalk, front wall, steps, and the
house wall behind some plants.

A 50% dilution of regular household bleach kills the stuff on the
sidewalk, steps, and front wall. Spray it on, wait half an hour, hose
it off. The part that doesn't disappear (in the cracks) turns a shade
of yellow which I presume means that it's dead and some sweeping and
scratching will remove it.

I'm loathe to use such a powerful mixture on the house wall because
the run-off will go all over the plants and even if I cover them it'll
end up in the soil possibly killing them (I think). I've tried
(gingerly) a 10% solution but that didn't do anything. The wall is
porous limestone and is painted so it doesn't matter if the mode of
killing causes a stain. I'll repaint it anyway. Does moss require
oxygen to live? If so would painting it with shellac do the trick? Is
there some other appropriate chemical that will kill the moss but not
the plants? BTW the plants are a yew tree and an azalea if that makes
a difference.

TIA

There are anti-moss sprays you can try. Moss is a plant and requires
CO2, light and moisture to survive. But, moss prefers shady, moist,
and acidic conditions. I have heavily limed an area and this had the
effect of less moss growing. Are you sure it is moss and not algae?