Old 12-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Cat
writes

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:28:04 +0100, "Cat"
wrote:

Roundup is your friend. It sure is mine.

Roundup is heady stuff :-)

It is. Seriously, it nearly sounds too good to be true, and with the vast
amounts of opprobrium constantly poured over Monsanto by the Green
fraternity, I wonder - objectively - if there is anything to be concerned
re. using Roundup?

Only that if you use the branded product you are giving money to
Monsanto. ICI/Zeneca/whatever they are called now have an alternative
glyphosate salt and various other generic glyphosate formulations are on
the market now. Best buy is maximum strength of active ingredient per
unit cost.

Does it genuinely become inert (forgive me if terminology is wonky) as soon
as it hits the ground?

To a very good approximation on normal soils it is deactivated by
adsorption onto clay particles and then detoxed by fungi. Some plants
have been GM'd to detox glyphosate (probably a bad thing).

Does it leave no residue whatsoever? What about the
dead plant material, is that in any way contaminated? Are there any other
reasons of an environmental or ethical (dare I say it?) nature why one would
have a problem using it?

Everything leaves some residue, but the powerful lethal effect of
glyphosate on growing plants coupled with its relatively benign effect
on most other living things (malaria parasites excepted) makes it an
excellent choice.

You actually need to be more concerned about the surfactants and wetting
agents used in commercial glyphosate formulations than about the active
weedkilling ingredient. Most other weedkillers are decidedly nasty.

Treat all garden chemicals with respect.

Treating ground elder requires patience and repeated application of
herbicide and/or digging you are prepared to do. The bits that break off
are much less likely to regrow if they are laced with glyphosate first.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown