Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Go for 2 ml a day, or 4 ml every 2 days etc etc.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"Nicholas Murray" arwenick"AT"acay.com.au wrote in message
It seems I should be using 1.5ml/day, according to the Sears/Conlin paper.
30 drops/day ?

"Allyb" wrote in message
I just went through this. Very frustrating. I was way way underdosing

at
first. You should use the fertilizer calculator to see how much you're
actually adding to the tank in ppm with the solution you've made.
http://atlas.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art...osage_calc.htm I just ran

it
at
1 tsp KNO3 in 300ml water (per the recipe) and it said that 1ml would

add
.05ppm nitrates, and you're just adding drops!
PMDD seems to be adding such a tiny amount, I don't quite understand how
you're supposed to get the levels up. I've made a solution with just
nitrates (I use the stump remover). I have a 55 gallon, and I mixed 6

Tbsp
(6 Tbsps!) with 250 ml of water, which is supposed to be 1.2 ppm per ml
added to the tank. I'm adding 20ml a day just to keep my levels at

around
5ppm. I need to test the solution to see if it's really as strong as

the
calculator says it is, I'm suspicious that it's weaker. Anyway,

according
to a poster in this group, a heavily planted aquarium can consume 10ppm

per
day, so at the pmdd rates, you're not even teasing them.

I wish someone else here could explain this. I've often wondered why

the
recipe seems so weak.

Good luck! Allison

"Rick" wrote in message

"Nicholas Murray" arwenick"AT"acay.com.au wrote in message
I've set up my planted tank after a hiatus of 3 years and have

forgotten
some basic facts.

56 l tank
1W/ l lighting.
DIY CO2 achieving 20ppm.
moderately dense planting with Limnophila sessiflora and unknown (to

me),
medium-sized Echinodorus.
dosing with 4 drops PMDD per day
laterite balls under the swords; coarse gravel substrate.

Plants pearling a lot and growing quite well.
A stable, tiny patch of cyanobacteria (on a plant stem at the

surface
right
under a light) and a bit more filamentous green algae than I'd like.

Some
BBA fading away. No fish yet.

The NO3 and Fe remain unmeasurable after 2 weeks of this regimen.

What
levels of both of these nutrients are desirable? Anyone want to take

stab
at an appropriate PMDD dosing rate?

Thanks in advance,
Nick.

I think the recommended dose is 2 drops per 10 gallons so you are in

the
ball park.

Rick