Old 12-10-2004, 02:27 PM
dps

Doug Kanter wrote:
.... I still managed to weed around the bush during feeding time
without being bothered. A couple of times, the bees smacked into my arm in
their rush to get back to the feast. I think they're like little kids
rushing to the piņata at a birthday party - they don't notice anything else...

Foraging honeybees aren't normally agressive (at least in New England --
I don't know anything about the african strains, which are not winter
hardy up here). They will sting if trapped or if they feel threatened.
However, you can brush them off flowers with your finger without any
problem as long as you allow them a way to escape.

When they get old and crochety, they are relegated to hive guard duty,
where they will threaten intruders to their personal space.