Old 12-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Jimbo

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Hello,

I have been deciding whether I should build retaining walls to
terrace my garden, or whether I should try and use earth banks.
The soil is quite clayey (S.Devon). The slope rises about two
and a half metres over about eight metres.

I have no easy access to get in materials, which is why I would
prefer to use what is there (lots of earth). I would also like the
garden to continue looking quite natural, so a giant concrete
retaining wall wouldn't really fit. I did consider using gabions
with a geotextile lining, but they are quite expensive.

So, now I need to decide:
(a) how steep an earth bank I can get away with
(b) what plants would be best for holding the bank together

I realise that (a) is a bit of a "piece of string" question. I've seen
figures of up to 45 degrees for clay soils. I'll be looking to rise
about 1-1.25 metres at the front and back of the terrace.
Anyone got any good examples of their own earth banks?

For (b), I had thought about just grassing the bank, but I'm
wondering if anyone has any suggestions for plants which
will do a better job of "matting" the surface of the bank together?

Thanks in advance,
Al Reynolds

If you go for an earth bank then a complete soil cover--ie grass-- will be
better. Adding plants will result in localized "washouts" and it may
eventually collapse.