Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 PM
escapee

On 12 Oct 2004 09:02:11 -0700, (TheCouchCruncher) opined:

How much of the old stem should you leave on the tuber?

My experience so far. I planted this plant for the first time last
year. The lady that gave them to me said just dig them up shake off
most of the dirt and put them in plastic shopping bags and hang in the
garage. I did and a good amount of my tubers turned to mush. I think I
put too many in each bag and I should have dried them out a day or two
out side in the sun to get rid of the extra moisture. I guess it is a
fine line. They are a live plant that can't dry out but you can't have
too much moisture either.

Never store anything from seeds to tubers in plastic bags.

When I lived in NY Zone 6b, I would wait till frost killed the tops back, cut
them to about six inches so I could use that as a handle and I'd slip a fork
under them and chunk the whole rhizome and soil out. I stored the whole clump
in a bushel basket from the grocery store, which they will give to you if you
ask. You can also buy cheap dollar bushel sized laundry baskets at the dollar
store. As long as the rhizomes don't freeze, they are fine in the garage, or
basement. I wouldn't keep them in an attic because it may be too warm up there
during the day.