Old 12-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Derek Broughton

Happy'Cam'per wrote:

After rushing her off to the local emergency vet it was discovered that
she had been caught in a snare!!!!!!!! The vet told us that these types of
snares were usually used for catching guinea fowl!!!!! Needless to say I
was completely devastated, how bloody disgusting can you get? In a Bird
Sanctuary of all places!!!!!

Awful as it is when it happens to your pet, it's not as if they were
actually trying to kill your cat. I'd even say that its a case of the pot
calling the kettle black if you let your cat roam loose in a bird sanctuary
and then get upset that people snare birds there. Here in Canada, the
single thing most threatening songbirds is roaming house cats. Are Guinea
fowl even native? If not, you could even say that people catching them
were doing a service - if they could guarantee not to kill anything else.

Do you think after all that trauma that she would from now on possibly
avoid that particular area? (I've only been keeping cats for 2 years and
am still recognising their habits and quirks). Sorry this is off topic but
I know that alot of you have cats.

It's a bird sanctuary. There's no way she's learned a lesson that would
teach her to "stay out". She is, though, a cat. She might be less likely
to be snared. The only way to keep a cat safe, is to keep it indoors.
--
derek