Old 12-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan wrote:
Thank you. I hadn't quite realised the implications of using a
rotavator vs digging & weeding by hand. I do have a nice new spade
gathering dust so perhaps it's time I used it in anger!

Depending on your soil, it can take remarkably little time to dig
that area. Don't do more than 50 square feet the first time and,
if it is heavy soil, less. But, a few weekends later and in light
soil, digging 250 square feet a day is not a major task. As other
people say, the really time-consuming part is removing the weeds,
stones, skeletons and so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.