Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Rod

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:54:16 +0100, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

Hello,

I have been deciding whether I should build retaining walls to
terrace my garden, or whether I should try and use earth banks.
The soil is quite clayey (S.Devon). The slope rises about two
and a half metres over about eight metres.

I have no easy access to get in materials, which is why I would
prefer to use what is there (lots of earth). I would also like the
garden to continue looking quite natural, so a giant concrete
retaining wall wouldn't really fit. I did consider using gabions
with a geotextile lining, but they are quite expensive.

What about going a step or two beyond the terrace idea and using the
slope as the basis for creating an interesting and varied topography?
Very steep in some parts - possibly with curved drystone walling or
rockery outcrop to hold those. Curved path, turning into steps where
it gets too steep, sloped lawn in other parts, sloping beds for plants
where it's somewhat less steep. Hide a path with no steps somewhere
for barrow/mower access.
I wonder why those of us with flat gardens want slopes, those with
slopes want it flat? I'd love to have more slopes to design around in
this garden.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.