Old 12-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Al Reynolds

"Rod" wrote:
What about going a step or two beyond the terrace idea and using the
slope as the basis for creating an interesting and varied topography?
Very steep in some parts - possibly with curved drystone walling or
rockery outcrop to hold those. Curved path, turning into steps where
it gets too steep, sloped lawn in other parts, sloping beds for plants
where it's somewhat less steep. Hide a path with no steps somewhere
for barrow/mower access.

Good point - although even with this terracing there will still be quite a
lot of slope - at the highest point in my garden the grass is above the
roofline of the house!

I wonder why those of us with flat gardens want slopes, those with
slopes want it flat? I'd love to have more slopes to design around in
this garden.

;-) V. true. If I had a flat garden I would want slopes. As it is, I just
want to create a reasonably sized safe play area for the moment, as the
only flat area in my garden at the moment is the path to the compost
heap.

Cheers,
Al