Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Has anyone seen a - -

Out collecting black nightshade berries the other day I came across two
Solanum nigrum plants which were lacking their blue pigment, so the ripe
berries were golden. (I might have mentioned this before...)

I picked all the ripe berries and kept them separate, and when at home,
retrieved the seeds. The pulp was a much better flavour than the 'black'
berries (IMO) and seemed sweeter.

Since I'd never seen one of these plants before (and I've been eating
black nightshade beries for getting on for half a century now) I offered
some of the seeds to the Royal Botanical Gardens' Millennium Seed Bank,
and it seems that Kew knows nothing of the plant - would I send a
specimen? (Done.)

Has anyone else seen one?

--
Rusty