Old 12-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:01:51 -0400, "Steve Orth"
wrote:

They do look like very small pumpkins, though when ripe they're more red
than orange - very fleshy/mushy on the inside when first harvested, but as
they dry (as far as I can tell) they start to shrink and lose much of their
weight. I have about a dozen of the peppers drying in a windowsill - grew
them only because I try a few pepper varieties each year that I've not tried
before - someone gave me 5 seeds of the Pumpkin Pepper.

Yeah, I always try a few new ones. The problem with that is that
my list of "must grow" peppers keeps getting longer and longer,
but my yard isn't getting any bigger!

For what it's worth, my favorites this year were Mushroom Pepper, Fish
Pepper, Jalapeno Goliath Hybrid, and Medusa (a VERY colorful ornamental) all
from Totally Tomatos, Burpee's Hot Lemon, Territorial's Autopick. From a
packet of "Ornamental Pepper- Hot Mix" from Pinetree I found an unusual
pepper with green & white stripes on each pepper, along with green & white
foliage. No idea what it is, but it's a keeper.

I'm assuming it's clearly a different variety of pepper from the
Fish? I love Fish peppers, btw, they're on my "Must Grow" list.
I put them in the front flower bed because they're so pretty.

Could your mystery variegated pepper be:

STRIPE - hot; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide;
matures from green with white stripes, to orange and red, to red;
pods are striped like a watermelon; plants have green and white
variegated leaves; Uses: Ornamental, Compact; C.annuum.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"