Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Must Grow Peppers and Other Pepper Musings

So, what peppers would be on my list?

Pimento De Chiero
Cherry Chocolate
Lemon Drops
Grenada Seasoning
Fish
Corno De Toro Red and Yellow
Limon
Chocolate Habs

I'll be adding Almapaprika, Trinidad Seasoning, and Dedo De Moca
to the list this year.

I won't be growing Puppy, Prairie Fire, or Nosegay again because
the peppers on them don't have a good flavor. The plants
themselves grew well and were prolific, I just want more taste
from my peppers. I won't be growing Hot Red Cheese, either, but
not because the peppers weren't good. It just wasn't as useful as
I thought it would be, and I would rather give the space to
something else. The Wenk's Yellow Hot won't be coming back,
either. The peppers were good, but the plant seemed more
susceptible to disease than most. I was really disappointed in
the Bulgarian Carrot Peppers, they performed poorly, and the
peppers weren't all that tasty.

I always grow some sort of jalapeno, and the Jalora jalapeno I
grew this year performed well, so I'll probably grow it again.
The Greenleaf Tabasco performed beautifully. I mean that both
production-wise and ornamental-wise. What a lovely plant, it
looks like it's covered in little red, yellow, and orange
candles. I'm finding that the ways to use the Tabasco peppers
are limited, however, so I don't know if I'll grow it again. When
they're ripe, they're ripe RIGHT NOW, and if you don't use them,
they quickly go soft.

I also grew Aji Dulcie I and Trinidad Perfume peppers. Both are
very nice performing, very tasty peppers, but I don't know that I
need 4 kinds of seasoning peppers, what with the Grenada and
Trinidad Seasoning peppers already. The Trinidad Perfume peppers
are so pretty, too, but I don't know if I want to devote that
much of my limited garden space to them.

I've grown Devil's Tongue peppers for the last couple of years,
too, but that's mostly for friends who are seriously into
outrageously hot peppers. They're nice for making hot pepper
oils, but, except for my friends, I could live without them.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"