Old 11-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Aaron Hicks

It doesn't matter what you buy when it comes to T12 or T8
fluorescent tubes. The differences exist, but they're slight. At work, we
grow plants under a 50/50 mix of T8 cool white and warm white bulbs
(Sylvania). At home, I use whatever fits the shop lights- T8, T12,
whatever- but I try to mix warm white and cool white.

The primary restriction created by fluorescent lights (regular
tubes, anyway) is intensity. You won't be able to grow plants that require
a lot of light. For that, you need much more expensive bulbs and ballasts.

I can never find the table when I want to, but there's a table of
PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) versus wattage and so forth- the
net upshot is that cool and warm white T12 tubes are very near the top of
the list in terms of bang for your buck. The ones above them are expensive
and more difficult to maintain. So- unless you need *more* light, stick
with the cheapo tubes and fixtures.

The e-mail address is a spam trap. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ