Old 13-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 12 Oct 2004 at 7:18, friendly wrote:

I hope that someone can help me. I've got a 8 year old Serissa (the
kind that gives white little roses).

it is a japanese one more resistent to the cold than

ches on the second one seems to be
dying. The second branch only has dried up leaves on it and seems very
bare next to the other main branch that seems to be florishing. I
might be paranoid, but I think it is happening to the other branch now
as well. What also bothers me is that my Serissa hasn't given any
flowers in quite some time.

probably you have a s amny people in this period a problem of root decay..
teh weather is changing but not the watering habits

The only 2 factors that I can think of that might be causing this is
the following:
1. I pruned off 2 dead sub-branches off the second main branch, just
before this started happening.

I do not think this might have affecte dteh flant unless teh tools
were infected by some virus

2. My bonsai is due for repotting at the end of this year.

I sgould check teh root pad first
if roots a re brown as rotten when you slightly pull them , you
should cut until find the white and sound root
wash all teh pad properly apply e disinfection product or powder with
root hormons
and make a good draining soil and put teh serissa in teher again
water and wait for next watering until teh soil is 80% dry
take a wider pot o wooden box fill it with peat or decaided roots a
nest your serissa pot inside
I did taht with my 4 cuttings last november 03 and stayed out in
Geneva winter all teh time till today... zone 7 all grew wonderfully
and are flowering now..
Serissa roots easily but hates soggy soil

But off course there could be others.

I have tried the following:
1. Used a little bit extra vertilizer.

never use fertilizer on a sich plant
if small roots are dead she has no mouth to eat it so fertilizer will
stagnate and built up sats and your start the infernal cycle
2. double checked its rate at which it gets water.

give water only when teh soil is 80% dry
soak it well and neve add water until the follwoing time..
adding sips sometimes to times makes you loose teh control on watering
3. Got rid off all the dead leaves.

yeah take 'em away from the soil
keep the plant is half shadow OUTSIDE according where you live

Can you describe the leaves as they "die?" Do they turn yellow,
then fall off? Do they turn brown, and stay on the plant?

yellow and fall is normal
turn balck can be root decay bad watering fungus or others

Have you moved this tree -- as to inside the house from outside,
or even from a sunny window to one with more shade, or from a
warm room to a cooler one?

she does not like to be deplaced I leave her for teh moment in teh
same place outside since 12 months and is great !
I have 5 cuttings all took roots

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :