Old 13-10-2004, 02:04 PM
TheCouchCruncher

Thanks Doug. Good point about the potatoes.
Is that what happens if they freeze, they turn to soup. a couple were
mush. I think that is what happened to mine. Maybe it wasn't too much
moisture but the freezing temps that got them. I'm in a bad situation.
My main basement is like 65 and the storage part that also houses the
furnace is like 70. At first last year I bought some off of eBay and
they started to grow in the basement. The garage has two walls towards
the house and one un-insulated but sheet rocked and insulated garage
doors. I stored them towards the front of the garage near the doors,
the only place I had room. Maybe I should store them towards the
warmer corner of the garage.
Thanks. Fred

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
They're better off in the basement, unless your basement is quite warm. I

used to have a root cellar that stayed between 35 and 45 degrees all winter,
and that worked fine. If your garage gets below freezing, the roots won't be
happy - they're sometimes better off in the ground under a lot of mulch, as
opposed to hanging in the garage. It all depends on your weather. One of my
dahlias was accidentally left in the ground one winter and it survived. It
was up against the East wall of the house, which got lots of sun. I put a
foot of straw on top of it after I realized my mistake, and the plant came
back healthy.

Indoors, the goal isn't much different than storing potatoes. You don't want
to let them get dry & shriveled, but you don't want them too wet. Too warm
and they'll start growing. Too cold and they'll freeze and become soup. So,
you have to keep a thermometer nearby, and fondle the tubers from time to
time. The best way to add water is with a misting bottle.