Old 13-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Pam - gardengal

"audrey" wrote in message
om...
Last weekend I was planting some bulbs, and for each hole that I dug I
found at least 3 grubs (mid-sized ones not huge yet). They weren't
there last year. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of
them? My front lawn is also dead. I thought because too much sun and
too much fertilizer, but it was the grubs that did it!!! I'm not sure
what type of grubs I have. They have a white body with a yellow head
and a black tail?

Please, please, somebody help me!!! I'm near Washington DC. Thanks
so much.

Audrey

Sounds like the larvae of Japanese beetles. Right now is an appropriate
time for applications of milky spore, a biological control. Not the fastest
control but can be very long lasting. Chemical remedies include
imidacloprid, a relatively low toxicity insecticide.

Doug offers good advice. Confirm diagnosis FIRST by taking several grubs to
your local extension agent or a knowledgeable full service garden center for
ID, then follow their advice for control, opting for the least invasive
method first.

pam - gardengal