Old 13-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Allan wrote in message news:MPG.1bd65c6ac2a9eb7f989682@news-server...
I'm getting back into the hobby after being away for a while and I
decided to set up a 6'x2'x2' planted freshwater tank with substrate
heating cables. I've been reading everything I can look up on The Krib
and other sources and I decided to go with the 250 watt Dupla cables
(Duplaflex 1000), even though they cost an arm and a leg. Now the
decision is the power supply. Does anyone know of any good sources for
one that is sufficient to power these cables that won't cost my other
arm and leg or should I have to bite the bullet and spend another $200
for the Dupla one (http://www.floridadriftwood.com)?

Even though I don't have much electrical engineering experience, I'm
open to trying some of the DIY options I've read about. Anybody have any
recent experience with that? Anybody know of any good places to get low
voltage/high current (24 V @ 11+ A) step down transformers?

If I do end up going with the Dupla transformer, does anyone know if
that will only connect to the Dupla temperature controller or can I use
some other controller (Neptune's AquaController II, for example)?

Thanks for any info on the subject!

- Allan

I'd suggest you not add a cable system at all.
I've never found them after 10 or so years(I've had 7 over the years
by Dupla and others)to be of any use. Do they hurt? No, do they help?
No.

I'd work on the substrate by using Flourite or Onyx, add some mulm
from another tank, about 8-10 handfuls of ground peat and add 3-4"f
these syubstrates on top of the mulm and peat.

Then you are done.
Nothing else needed.

You can search the APD for my arguments on cables and find some back
and forth between George and myself over the years.

No one to date has even come close to answering my questions
concerning them nor shown any evidence that they work.

I think "faith" has more to do with it than actual help to the
plants.
It will work if you believe it works

You will find a significant difference with a good substrate like I
suggested though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,